Parent/Baby Massage Classes
Benefits of Massaging Your Baby
The benefits of infant massage have been enjoyed in other cultures for centuries and now Australian parents can learn the techniques to help their babies make the most of the miracle of touch.
Infant massage must be experienced to fully appreciate the benefits for parent and baby. However current research has clearly shown tangible benefits physically and emotionally.
These benefits include:
- improvement in the quality of sleep - by soothing the nervous system.
- toning of the digestive system - special techniques relieve wind, constipation and colic.
- strengthening of the immune system through relaxation - stress weakens the immune system.
- strengthening of the nervous system and aiding neurological development (speeds up myelination of nerves).
- strengthened bonding - particularly good for those with interrupted bonding through prematurity, medical problems, adoption and fostering.
- establishing of close, loving communication which provides security and stability for the child. A secure child is free to develop to his or her full potential as he/she is not anxiously attempting to gain security through trying to have basic nurturing needs met.
- providing an opportunity for fathers to spend quality time with their children.
- developing mutual trust and respect - the child is always in control of the massage session.
- allowing the parent to develop a deeper understanding of the child's non-verbal communication and behavioural cues.
Infant massage is also beneficial to special needs children as well as older children and facilitates deeper understanding, integration and connection with their parents and caregivers.
Learning infant massage could not be easier. You will be guided through each stroke carefully until you are confident in communicating your love through touch. In addition you will learn to relax yourself and create a serene and nurturing environment in which your baby will thrive.
Amanda will advise you on what oils are appropriate for use on your baby, the best time of day to massage your baby, and how to create a calming environment for massage.
The strokes of the four different styles of massage taught by Amanda are far easier to grasp when personally demonstrated. Pressure, rate, rhythm, the length of the massage, respect, bonding, why baby cries, reading your baby's body language, and parent empowerment are just some of the skills and topics we teach which are not currently relayed in the books and videos on the market.
You will also have the opportunity to discuss the latest research on the benefits of massage and relevant parenting issues with other parents in your class. Sharing your concerns and questions regarding your baby is easy in the relaxed, caring environment of an infant massage class.
Young babies will benefit from being introduced to small amounts of massage over several weeks. This will allow the baby to become accustomed to the stimulation of massage and give the parents the opportunity to learn and remember the strokes correctly. The reason we teach a little at a time is to ensure that parents and caregivers are confident with every aspect of infant massage and can raise any questions the following week as needed.
Infant massage classes for parents/caregivers are usually held over a 3-4 week period and each session runs for approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Individual instruction is also available.